+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D-Tek Fuzion V2 + Quad Insert Review

Default D-Tek Fuzion V2 + Quad Insert Review

Review: D-Tek Fuzion V2 Waterblock + Quad Insert
    By: Craigr1982
    Date: 12th May 08
    Done For www.cpcff.co.uk

Thinking of going watercooling? Not sure what block to buy? Read on!

Introduction

D-Tek are well known for their watercooling kit. The Fuzion V1 was the best waterblock around for quite some time. Now they have a new one, the V2.

Packaging

I bought my kit from Pascal over at Aqua-PC's and they arrived very fast so thanks for that

The block comes in a cardboard box containing everything although there are spacers and holes to hold everything in place.

The new V2 comes with a PRO mounting kit for Socket 775 with a motherboard backplate, but also a universal mounting kit with the usual nuts and bolts. The block came in one piece but I dismantled it for the picture with the INCLUDED allen key. This is a great idea as it saves you rooting through your tool kit to find the correct size.

The block has had a slight redesign so its a little less bulky, but essentially its the same.

You can just see the pins inside the waterblock with this shot.

The blocks finish is quite good but not as good as I've seen on other products.

Inside the block you see the layout of the pins which aid the water flow and make sure it reaches all the areas needed.

As you might have noticed I also bought an insert for the block. The one on the left is the STOCK insert, just a single hole. The QUAD insert has a split in the middle leading to two holes which should mean the water flows better and more evenly.

Installation

I used the PRO mounting for this review. The backplate is easy to line up and has a sticky pad which you peel off and then attach to your motherboard. This makes mounting the block much easier than trying to hold the block and the backplate at the same time.

The barbs on the block are a little close making it a bit of a squeeze getting 2 1/2" hoses on PLUS using jubilee clips to keep them tight. But the inlet has to be in the middle to ensure good flow and the block can only be so big.

Rig

My Rig

Intel Q6600 STOCK for all tests.
    2Gb Crucial Ballistixs 8500
    Asus P5K-E Wifi /AP
    BFG 8800GT

The Watercooling Setup

Laing D4 Basic
    1x 240mm Radiator
    1 Tube Res
    Approx 4 Foot of Rubber Tubing
    Jubilee Clips

Testing

I tested by running two instances of ORTHOS (1 per 2 core), with ATItool also running. This was left for around 12 minutes with all cores running at 100%. The temperature was monitored with both Coretemp and the new CPUID Hardware Monitor however as both these show different results it is slightly difficult but they do show a considerable drop. The results below are from CPUID Hardware Monitor but the screen shots are below.

Scythe Ninja

Fuzion Stock

Fuzion with Quad Insert

Conclusion

Now obviously the results will vary greatly depending on what other hardware you have, CPU Temp and Pump spec, etc, so this is just based on my findings. I'm impressed by the amount of stuff you get with the Fuzion particularly the PRO mounting which makes the block look so much better on the motherboard. It cools better than my Scythe Ninja which was very good to begin with.
    The block performs well at stock and slightly better with the Quad Insert. However I'm left a little wanting with the Insert, maybe I was expecting too much of it but 3C or so isn't a great improvement.. but then again it is cheap (change from a fiver).

Pros
    [*]Range of mounting options[*]Easy to fit[*]Lowers temperatures (dependant on other watercooling hardware)

Cons
    [*]Barbs are still a little close together[*]3C improvement with the Quad Insert

These items are available over at Aqua-PC's where we have deals on Free Delivery or 10% Off. Check the Aqua-PC's board for more information.

Dtek Fuzion Block
    Quad Insert

Very nice pics and review

But is there any chance you can compare between other water blocks with your setup rather than air.?
    HWBot siggy thingy no workie..!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greed4Speed View Post
    Hope the new captains kick our asses and inspire us to get back into gear again, I volunteer to bend over first
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    If stuff ain't dieing, you aren't trying.
    נְפִילִים

Nice content. Can't see the pics as I''m at work on a filtered connection

You didn't mention anything about re-mounts? How many times was each mounted?

Also, if the Quad insert does give a 3C improvement (very dependant on number of mountings attempted) then that is definitely not a negative - that's very good.

Glad you like the review.

Dualist - I cant compare between other blocks as I'm short on cash so I just cant afford anything at the mo.

r1ch - The scythe was already mounted so thats that (as it's a sod to mount). Both of the D-tek tests were mounted 3 times with the average temps being used as scores. I used MX-2 paste each time.

As for the quad as I said I wasnt sure what I was expecting with that but I guess any improvement is good

Quote Originally Posted by Craigr1982 View Post
    r1ch - The scythe was already mounted so thats that (as it's a sod to mount). Both of the D-tek tests were mounted 3 times with the average temps being used as scores. I used MX-2 paste each time.
    Perfect - well done!

nice reviews

980X

HWBOT team captain : Any problems with hwbot then pm me or catch me on msn

Super Moderator-Benchtec Legend 4Qman's Avatar

Again nice review, i would actually be tempted to get one after seeing this

Maybe next time you can do one on a NB waterblock
    Get me home already!!!!!!!!

MCW30 is the best universal nb block dave. Thou EK ones are good you'll have to get the right one for different boards.

980X

HWBOT team captain : Any problems with hwbot then pm me or catch me on msn

I love my FuZion v2 .. Its just so shiny .. I had a hell of a job trying to explain to this guy how using the Quad Core insert with a single die CPU wouldn't help at all and would probably have an adverse effect on temps ..
    X3350 @ 3.6GHz - 1.265v Load || CM Stacker 831 || 9800GX2 @ 700/1150/1050 / HD3870X2 @ 695/980 || XFX 790i Ultra + HR-05/HR-09s/SLF-1 || Akasa PowerMax 850 || 4GB DDR3 OCZ 1333Mhz @ 1600MHz 8-7-7-22 || 150GB Raptor || Samsung 245B 24" 1920x1200 || Logitech Z-5400 5.1 Digital Speaker Set + X-Fi Fatal1ty (KIA by a Moth) || Saitek Eclipse Keyboard + Logitech G7

FuZion v2 || PA120.2 + D12SM-12s || DDC-1T Pro + Petras Tech Top ||

3DMark06: 18621 || 3DMark Vantage: P10010

Nice work Craig, but may I suggest that instead of commenting on how shiny the base is (which means feck all), that next time do a flatness test using this:

http://www.thermochill.com/guides/LappingGrid.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by EvOcarlos View Post
    i like to feel all the bumps and some nice control from the rear

Quote Originally Posted by weescott View Post
    I suggest that instead of commenting on how shiny the base is (which means feck all)
    It does mean something it means two thing.

1. it looks nice
    2.it shows how high quality the surface is

But i agree a flatness test would be more useful
    Hey, I'm watching

+ Reply to Thread