Category: Motherboard
    Manufacturers: ASUS

Author: sacha35
    Asus: P5K PRO

Rating:
    Speed: 89-100
    Features: 91-100
    Value:96-100

The P5K PRO is an Intel P35 chipset-based motherboard that supports FSB 1333 and DDR2 1066 and combines better overclocking performance with great energy efficiency. Featuring the cutting-edge ASUS EPU and ASUS 3rd Generation 8-Phase Power Design, the P5K PRO triumphs over other competitive MB solution.
    With improved VRM efficiency, ASUS EPU digitally monitors and fine-tunes the CPU power supply in heavy or light loadings, while ASUS 3rd Generation 8-Phase Power Design ensures better power efficiency and thermal performance over competitorís 6-phase design with higher temperatures.
    This motherboard supports the latest Intel Core2 processors in LGA775 package. It also can support Intel next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU. With new Intel Core microarchitecture technology and 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel Core2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.
    The Intel P35 Express Chipset is the latest chipset designed to support the next generation 45nm CPU; and up to 8GB of dual-channel DDR3 1066/800 MHz and DDR2 800/667 MHz memory architecture. It also supports 1333/1066/800 FSB (Front Side Bus), PCI Express x16 graphics and multi-core CPUs. Surpass the Limit with Easy Overclocking Choices ASUSīs Super Memspeed Technology keeps you one step ahead by breaking through current FSB and DRAM ratio proportions with full support of native DDR2 1066. With support for future memory trends, your purchase investment is protected; and it is the best stage for overclocking options when compared to other technologies that run at reduced frequencies of DDR2 800 or require overclocking to reach DDR2 1066.
    It is also the only technology that allows overclocking to be more convenient and smart - providing better compatibility and the ability to overclock up to 1370MHz - an enhancement of up to 71% - granting great performance for 3D graphics and other memory demanding applications.
    The ASUS EPU utilizes innovative technology to digitally monitor and tune the CPU power supply with improved VR responses in heavy or light loadings.
    It automatically provides power for higher performance or improve efficiency by 7% when the PC is running low intensity applications.
    Working together with AI Gear 3, this can help you attain the best possible power efficiency and energy savings up to 58.6% to help save the environment.
    With power efficiency so important to operating temperatures, ASUSī 3rd generation 8-phase VRM design leads the industry with its 95% power efficiency.

High quality power components such as low RDS (on) MOSFETs for minimum switching loss & lower temperatures, Ferrite core chokes with lower hysteresis loss, and high quality Japanese-made conductive polymer capacitors all add up to ensure longer component life and lower power loss - creating more energy efficiency. Allows the user to adjust the NB Voltage, FSB termination Voltage, CPU PLL Voltage and the DRAM Voltage in 0.02v steps to finetune voltages to achieve the most precise setting for the ultimate customized overclocking configuration.
    Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC! The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature, retasking functions and multi-streaming technology that simultaneously sends different audio streams to different destinations.

Main Features:
    Intel P35 chipset
    Intel Core2 Quad / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Duo / Pentium Extreme / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Processors
    ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit)
    ASUS 3rd Generation 8-phase Power Design
    Precision Tweaker 2
    ASUS Q-Shield

Overview

The P5K PRO is an Intel P35 chipset-based motherboard that supports FSB 1333 and DDR2 1066 and combines better overclocking performance with great energy efficiency. Featuring the cutting-edge ASUS EPU and ASUS 3rd Generation 8-phase power design, the P5K PRO triumphs over other competitive MB solution. With improved VRM efficiency, ASUS EPU digitally monitors and fine-tunes the CPU power supply in heavy or light loadings, while ASUS 3rd Generation 8-Phase Power Design ensures better power efficiency and thermal performance over competitorís 6-phase design with higher temperatures.

Specifications

Product Type Motherboard Form Factor MATX Width 30.5 cm Depth 21.8 cm Compatible Processors Pentium 4, Pentium Extreme Edition, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Quad, Wolfdale 64-bit Processors Compatibility Built-in Processor Socket LGA775 Socket Multi-Core Support Dual-Core / Quad-core Chipset Type Intel P35 Express / Intel ICH9R Max Bus Speed 1333 MHz BIOS Type AMI Storage Controller ATA-133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID) Power Connectors 4-pin ATX12V connector, 24-pin main power connector
    Processor
    Installed Qty (Max Supported) 0 ( 1 )
    Memory
    Supported RAM Technology DDR II SDRAM Supported RAM Integrity Check Non-ECC RAM Installed ( Max ) 0 MB / 8 GB (max) Supported RAM Speed PC2-6400, PC2-5300, PC2-8500 RAM Features Unbuffered, two DDR channels
    Audio
    Audio Output Sound card Audio Codec Realtek ALC883 Sound Output Mode 7.1 channel surround Compliant Standards High Definition Audio
    Telecom / Networking
    Networking Network adapter - Marvell Yukon 88E8056 - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
    Features
    BIOS Features DMI 2.0 support, WfM 2.0 support, SMBIOS 2.3 support, ASUS EZ Flash 2, ASUS MyLogo3, ASUS O.C. Profile, ACPI 2.0a support Manual Settings CPU frequency, processor core voltage Sleep / Wake Up Wake on LAN (WOL), wake on ring (WOR) Hardware Features Chassis intrusion detection, C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall), ASUS Q-Fan 2, ASUS AI NOS (Non-delay Overclocking System), ATI CrossFire technology support, ASUS AI Nap, CrashFree BIOS 3, ASUS Q-Connector, ASUS AI NET2, ASUS Noise Filter, ASUS Stepless Frequency Selection (SFS), ASUS EPU (Energy Processing Unit), ASUS AI Direct Link, ASUS Q-Shield, ASUS Precision Tweaker 2, ASUS 3rd Generation 8-phase Power Design
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Expansion Slot(s) 1 processor - LGA775 Socket
    4 memory - DIMM 240-pin
    1 PCI Express x16
    1 PCI Express x16 ( x4 mode )
    2 PCI Express x1
    2 PCI Storage Interfaces Intel ICH9R : Serial ATA-300 - connector(s): 6 x 7pin Serial ATA - 6 Device(s) - RAID 0 / RAID 1 / RAID 10 / RAID 5
    Marvell 88SE6102 : ATA-133 - connector(s): 1 x 40pin IDC - 2 Device(s) RAID Features Intel Matrix RAID Technology Interfaces 1 x audio - line-In - 4 PIN MPC
    1 x storage - floppy interface - 34 PIN IDC
    1 x keyboard - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style)
    1 x mouse - generic - 6 pin mini-DIN (PS/2 style)
    1 x audio - SPDIF output - RCA
    1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 6 PIN FireWire
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T - RJ-45
    6 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 PIN USB Type A
    1 x audio - line-out (centre/subwoofer) - mini-phone 3.5mm
    1 x audio - line-out (rear) - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    1 x audio - line-In - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    1 x audio - line-out - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
    1 x microphone - input - mini-phone 3.5mm
    1 x audio - line-out (side surround) - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm Additional Connectors (Optional) 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire), 6 x Hi-Speed USB
    Miscellaneous
    Software Included Drivers & Utilities Compliant Standards Plug and Play, RoHS

Final thoughts:
    The ASUS P5K PRO is an outstanding small ATX motherboard that offers all the features you expect to see on a higher priced full size ATX board.

The board layout and overall design were well thought out,except the main 24 pin power supply input as this seams a bit of an unusual place to put this, but keeping with ASUSí stellar reputation, with no real tight areas on the board.

Asus have again outdone themselves on this one and have provided all the accessories as you would expect to find in a much higher priced motherboard.

With a retail price of around £75.00 it makes this motherboard a worth will investment especially if you are limited for space.

Link To asus site: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...21&modelmenu=1

nice work there paul

you get a fair bit for the money with this m/b

Sponsored by Stannah maverik-sg1's Avatar

Things I like about this board:

SATA port position

The Price - seems a lot of board for the money as Baz said - features are good value.

Asus currently on top of their game with P35 and X38 boards right now, making them leaders, this board continues the trend IMHO.

Compact

Shows there's no need for fancy heatpipes - allows easier transition to other coolers if required.

Even Though it's compact - they still leave sufficient clearance between the ram slots and the PCI-E for larger GPU's.

Concerns:

The ATX power socket - could be troublesome in it's orientation and would probably clutter the wiring once installed, this would be a problem if you intend on resting a fan on top of the GPU to cool the NB - or using a large CPU air cooler.

Additional 12v supply is only 4pin.

Like all current ASUS boards (and most other boards) those MOSFET coolers are flimsy and the spring/pin retainers are not secure or apply enough pressure to the FETS - would pay £1 extra to cover the cost of better securing method of these critical coolers.

Overall though looks great and at the price it's far superior to other boards under £80.

Thought/Plea to Asus - With all the recent releases, you guys are closer to offering the best products than you ever have been. Please continue to improve as it is easy to see where those improvements need to be made, VDroop, MOSFET cooling retainers etc... A little goes a long way
    Last edited by maverik-sg1; 15-01-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Former HWBOT and CPC World No1 Bencher

http://www.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=5051

HWBOT Quote:

(highest rank ever: 1st at 05 Nov 2006 12:30, most hwboints ever: 331.7 points at 05 Nov 2006 12:30)

Voltage - The solution and cause of all your overclocking problems .

Please forgive my grammar and spelling - My Keyboard is dyslexic

Friend of the family scooter.jay's Avatar

I agree very nice board for the money.

Great review, thanks

I just recently recommended this board so I'm glad others agree it's a good choice, especially for those on a budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by maverik-sg1 View Post
    HWBot points are like Tesco's........ Every Little Helps

Nice board for the moolah...

Quote Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
    carlsberg...probably the gayest larger in the world.. you need wife beater..!! 8 cans of stella and still going strong
    ignore any post by me after 10pm. (if you've not gathered that already).
    Quote Originally Posted by weescott View Post
    I can justifiably say.....OMGWTFBBQ

Going to be building a system for a friend in the next couple of months and I at first I was looking at the P5K vanilla, I also looked at the P5K-E but this doesnt look bad either.

How do you feel it stacks up compared to the P5K-E sacha35? Is it worth the extra money for the P5K-E?

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePooters View Post
    If Dualist sticks plenty of lube in his socket and no-one's around, does it make a sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Greenback View Post
    It can easliy turn into a willy waving contest thou...

where is this placed in the P5K range ??

980X

HWBOT team captain : Any problems with hwbot then pm me or catch me on msn

Quote Originally Posted by sparkY1000 View Post
    Going to be building a system for a friend in the next couple of months and I at first I was looking at the P5K vanilla, I also looked at the P5K-E but this doesnt look bad either.

How do you feel it stacks up compared to the P5K-E sacha35? Is it worth the extra money for the P5K-E?
    The P5K-E is a full size ATX and will be a better all round board for hard core overclocking due to its size and components used, what this motherboard offers is its a small ATX size with big a daddy bios, in this i mean it offers just as much as the rest and combines overclocking performance with great energy efficiency. Featuring the cutting-edge ASUS EPU and ASUS 3rd Generation 8-phase power design.

So what this offers is a user that is limited for space to have just as much fun as the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by jabski View Post
    where is this placed in the P5K range ??
    AS above this is a small form factor ATX board and for the price it is an outstanding performer.

Friend of the family

Looks similar to P5K-E Wifi sept P5K-E has best head sink design

Quote Originally Posted by H4rdcore-HeaveN View Post
    Looks similar to P5K-E Wifi sept P5K-E has best head sink design
    Totally different layout and the P5K-E is a full size ATX motherboard

Friend of the family

Quote Originally Posted by sacha35 View Post
    Totally different layout and the P5K-E is a full size ATX motherboard
    Ahhh i see

Looking forward to this board coming to ebuyer, its still £85 at overclockers.

Cheers Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePooters View Post
    If Dualist sticks plenty of lube in his socket and no-one's around, does it make a sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Greenback View Post
    It can easliy turn into a willy waving contest thou...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkY1000 View Post
    Looking forward to this board coming to ebuyer, its still £85 at overclockers.

Cheers Paul!
    can be found here http://www.eurowide-pc.co.uk/asus-sk...b-p-29797.html for £73.47

I don't like the fact it isn't full ATX...I always cringe when I swap RAM in and out of motherboards with all the supports around the RAM slots, but with that I'd probably never take the RAM out once it's in.

I also don't like the fact that the RAM slots aren't aligned. This would render my Corsair Dominator RAM fan useless.

ATX power connector placement, the potential for heatsink incompatibility with that large, close, northbridge heatsink and the lack of e-sata are all negatives for me.

All in all, just a few too many corners cut with this board. Good for a budget, but I'd take a standard P5K over it any day of the week.

+ Reply to Thread