+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Windows for dual socket 603?

Bench Team Member

Default Which Windows for dual socket 603?

I have an old, never used dual socket 603 board with a couple of 1.6 GHz Foster MP processors in it, and want to do some benching with it. The processors are single core, 32-bits and have hyperthreading. Does anyone know what would be the best 32-bit OS for benching with it? I'm probably going to have to download an old OS so want to get it right first time

Bench team-Hwbot-hardware junkie-Bench Team Ninja ScunnyUK's Avatar

Partly it depends what benchmark/s you are running as some perform better on one os over another but then it depends on the platform aswell.

i.e. Wprime might work best using Win7 32bit on an AMD AM2 system but with a SandyBridge setup XP may be best, change the benchmark to Spi and server2003 may be best choice for both platforms..

I have never used a skt 603 system so can not give a definitive answer but I would think your best bet will be to use a version of Experience Tiny or Micro XP for the majority of 2D benchmarks. PCMark05 usually works best with Win7 SP1 but skt 603 might not have enough juice to run that so again I would try a Tiny Win7 or light version, or you could try making your own copy. chopping out all the un-needed bloat and tweaking with Nlite / Vlite

Bench Team Member

I'll be running all the CPU benches at hwbot on each processor (and/or pair of processors) I can get for this socket and for a socket F system (the latter is easier to sort). There are a lot of processors that aren't too expensive that have never ben benched there, so a few hardware points for me and hopefully lots of team points once I have the system set up.

I hadn't come across Experience Tiny or Micro XP, I'll google them. I need to check if I have nlite or vlite, and get the latest versions of them as well. I've checked which 32-bit OS I have, and I think I only have NT 4, 2000 and XP-32. Sounds like I might be OK with them, especially as I'm not really competing with anyone on those platforms, just having a bit of fun (and upsetting my bank manager!). I don't think Win 7 will be good on the s603 system, it's just too old a system for such a resource hungry OS. I might look for a copy and see what it can do though, could be interesting

Stock Air cooling

I don't think Win 7 will be good on the s603 system,
    Why's that?
    Last edited by Apentier; 04-06-2012 at 01:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread