+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bad board (phenom / am3)

Forum Member

Default bad board (phenom / am3)

so, i picked up that SS from almighty15 and tested it to see what work needs doing to it, test the load capability etc. it's not too bad, needs a tidy and a few mods for better load handling.

here's the story

i know this cpu is capable of 4800mhz bench stable, i used to run that on my other stock mach2gt and temps were as high as 0c, long story cut i killed the board with condensation
    as i left it stored while decorating and the evap must have come loose before i booted it up again, so it killed it. (gigabyte GA-MA770FXT-UD5p) i think it was.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=914339

i bought a cheaper board to get me by as i wasnt runnign phase at the time, i ended up getting a Gigabyte GA-Ma770T-UD3. i cant get this cpu stable over 4200mhz without any amount of vcore
    even just multiplier clocking, and this unit can hold more load than my old unit.

never known a cpu to degrade, so i am going to say it's just a crappy board, right?

will have to get a new setup soon me thinks
    Last edited by MaRtIee!; 05-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Forum Member

bumpity bump.

Forum Member

thought i would update this thread, the board went pop in the end. it was a low power phase and i dont think it handled the stress. a mosfet near the CPU went pop during prime95 while i was tuning the singlestage. i am just hoping the cpu is alright.

i have ordered me a sabertooth to replace it so should see the better overclock again.

Sponsored by Stannah maverik-sg1's Avatar

Firstly, apologies for missing this thread completely first time around.

CPU's can degrade over time if too much volts pass through it for prolonged periods - I lost count of the 'golden' cpu's I purchased in my benching years that never quite managed the dizzy heights of their former glory.

But it looks like (on this example) that you have just had bad luck with your motherbaords - I hope the Sabretooth board will give you a more reliable platform of which to work with.

Former HWBOT and CPC World No1 Bencher

http://www.hwbot.org/user.do?userId=5051

HWBOT Quote:

(highest rank ever: 1st at 05 Nov 2006 12:30, most hwboints ever: 331.7 points at 05 Nov 2006 12:30)

Voltage - The solution and cause of all your overclocking problems .

Please forgive my grammar and spelling - My Keyboard is dyslexic

Forum Member

haha, no worries mav.

i have never run it on more than 1.5v vcore and that was only during benching on phase. 1.4v was 24/7.

i can repair the board and keep it as a backup but i think that mosfet went pop for a reason and theres probably more to it than one blown vrm.

it will be here tomorrow anyways so will find out over the week.
    Last edited by MaRtIee!; 27-02-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Forum Member

first off, this board is pretty good, very pleased with it. no phase till the weekend

one of my sticks of corsair vengeance ram is bad. i could only run 8gb on my last board so on this one i got to try the full 16gb and had stability issues. (pc rebooting on memtest and prime)

so decided to try one at a time to see if it was a stick inparticular and it's just one of them causing it (stock settings). the other 3 are fine RMA time? wish i never bought those sticks tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by MaRtIee! View Post
    first off, this board is pretty good, very pleased with it. no phase till the weekend

one of my sticks of corsair vengeance ram is bad. i could only run 8gb on my last board so on this one i got to try the full 16gb and had stability issues. (pc rebooting on memtest and prime)

so decided to try one at a time to see if it was a stick inparticular and it's just one of them causing it (stock settings). the other 3 are fine RMA time? wish i never bought those sticks tbh.
    hope it goes well mate I'm looking forward to the results.
    Walking back home in the mud.

+ Reply to Thread