+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to reset a Z68/P67 motherboard BIOS/CPU?

Stock Air cooling

Default How to reset a Z68/P67 motherboard BIOS/CPU?

Hi peeps

I seem to remember a little trick that basically tricked the CPU into thinking it was being restarted for the first time, something like,

Power ON without RAM
    Power OFF
    Place a single DIMM in the slot furthest away from the CPU
    Power ON
    And keep moving this RAM stick closer to the CPU each time and testing.

Is the above correct?

Bench team-Hwbot-hardware junkie-Bench Team Ninja ScunnyUK's Avatar

I cant say Ive ever heard of that particular combination lol, at least not for tricking a cpu into thinking its been started for the first time!

You might use a combination simular if you was looking to find a bad dimm slot maybe but as for 'tricking' the cpu, .. well I guess that its just the choice of wording used making it sound like there is somthing special about it because when a cpu is first started it will run at its default setting and this can be achieved at any time simply by resetting the bios cmos switch.

Bench team-Hwbot-hardware junkie-Bench Team Ninja ScunnyUK's Avatar

A bit of an update for this..

I come across a "trick" of sorts very simular to what you have described stewie but its aimed at the MSI boards (newer boards with the click bios I think).

When the bios corrupts / crashes and you get stuck in the start up loop ( board starts up for a second, fans spinning ect, then shuts down again, then starts again, rinse and repeat), supposedly these steps can help to get it running again:

First shut off the power and unplug it then clicking on the start or reset button to release any built up charge.

Next take out all the ram.

Move the bios cmos jumper into the reset position.

Remove the battery for a little bit.

Replace battery and put cmos jumper back to normal position.

Plug in and turn on the PC.

At this point hopefully the board bios will reset itself and if successful you should then hear the normal beeping for no memory been installed so you can then shutdown and put youre memory back in and the board should boot up at default settings.

I have to say though my P67A GD65 B3 somehow has managed to corrupt both bios on the board and this trick didnt help me. Perhaps if you have the bios setup so it does not autmatically try to switch to the second bios if the first one messes up, then this trick may work???

+ Reply to Thread