+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blackops (Video Card) Help.

Default Blackops (Video Card) Help.

Hi. I have at last got all the parts for my O/C project even a legal Windows 7 CD.
    So after checking & rechecking all connections I finally plucked up cur-rage to plug it in, Bearing in mind all these parts are used & have come from all over the world.
    It fired up no problem power supple LED went to green all fans spinning lots of info on screen all seamed well so I thought I would have a look into the BIOS then a Crack/Spark sound screen went blank so I powered down the computer & started to check every-thing.
    Powered on again after checks went into bios again after approx 2 minutes screen went blank again the post code display seamed to indicate video card problem so checked every-thing again.
    I had better mention this now my video card is a BFG 9800GTX+ Water cooled But with no water in it yet (call me a dick head if you must) but the water jacket did not get hot but the little heat sink at the end of the card did (possible needed a little fan) & the 1 Mosfet under the heat sink is possibly the problem I found the little bit of Mosfet in the bottom of the case.
    I have sourced a new Mosfet & I can repair this myself no problem.
    I would like to no if any of you Hi tec guys think this could be my problem, I love to tinker & if I can repair the card it would give me a great deal of satisfaction if not I will get another card. Many thanks.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by lobo1uk; 13-04-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: lost photo´s

That would be the badger that brok the camels back.

Friend of the family ARandomOWL's Avatar

Wow you did a good job cracking that wide open
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Statistically, overclocking is 719% more fun than studying, even on a bad benching day.
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon101 View Post
    Putting 1.8v through a chip is like hitting someone with a baseball bat. Do it for a short time and the chip won't be hurt...do it for a long time and it will die.

Hi. I would like to point out the Mosfet that has failed was not under the heat-sink & not having the originals plastic case I don't no how it was cooled possibly by a fan if I can repair it I will fix a fan to it to cool that area.
    Even with that failed Mosfet it still goes into the bios but only for a minute or so.

Hi. Have finally got new parts to repair Graphic card Pkt of 10 for 7.61 post free all the way from Hong Kong. took 18 days to get here though Probably Customs/Bond warehouse.
    Have removed blown Mosfet from board used 25 Watt solder iron (No Chance) It took my 100/150 Watt Weller solder Gun.
    Will have to think about what to re-solder the new Mosfet with.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Friend of the family ARandomOWL's Avatar

You really need a hot air station to solder that. Although you may get a way with using your iron if you heat the area with a heatgun first.
    Last edited by ScunnyUK; 08-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Statistically, overclocking is 719% more fun than studying, even on a bad benching day.
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon101 View Post
    Putting 1.8v through a chip is like hitting someone with a baseball bat. Do it for a short time and the chip won't be hurt...do it for a long time and it will die.

Bench team-Hwbot-hardware junkie-Bench Team Ninja ScunnyUK's Avatar

Appoligies Adrian I pressed "edit post" rather than "quote post" above, Ive corrected my error now though

Quote Originally Posted by ARandomOWl View Post
    You really need a hot air station to solder that. Although you may get a way with using your iron if you heat the area with a heatgun first.

+1, there is a good video around here somewhere with Carl doing a repair job using one

EDIT

Heres the thread with the fix Carl did but not sure what happened to the video???

http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/thr...ge-Extreme-fix!

Hi. Plucked up courage to try to solder Mosfet with the old trusty Weller Hear Gun 100/140 Watts, applied small amount of La-Co none corrosive flux to back of Mosfet got my woman to hold in place with pencil while I soldered it. (she was worried about solder on the carpet). Seams to be OK.
    Cleaned total board with Medical Alcohol does not look to bad. Have cut new heat-sink to cover all of the Mosfet s from old slot 1 heat-sink will keep all of them cool I hope.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Hi. Forgot these 2 photo´s old slot 1 heat-sink + paper template to cut around will attach small fan some how.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Default Video Card repair Completion

Hi. Another moth-balled project dragged out of draw to finish of.
    First job clean chips & water jacket with Alcohol you can buy this from chino shop 1.5 Euro´s x 500mls.
    Apply MX-2 to centre of chips not edges because it usually squashes onto edges on fitting I like MX-2 because its none Electrical conductive so if you do get a bit on the contacts it wont short (I hope).
    Fit water Jacket & tighten down evenly.
    I have made my own heat sink for the Mosfets it covers all 18 of them, I put a small blob of MX-2 on all 18 & fitted heat sink. I made the heat sink out off a heat sink from a Slot-1 CPU.
    Photo of completed Video card will fit this in my next project which I am about to start.
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread