A quick mock up with tape on the horizontals.
Just started drilling the Aluminium U tube. Drilled two holes to mount the backplace on as in the design. Bolted it onto the screen and it flexed. This is not good. It looks like I'm going to have to alter the design a bit. Thinking of using two horizontals for each row of monitors.
New designs on the way.
I recieved two rather large packages yesterday.
The Dell had a wonderfully bodge job stand on it. Lucky I'm taking the cases off.
First to be taken apart is the HP.
The stands are always fun to take off. There's usually at least one hidden screw somewhere. This one was underneath the plastic cap just below the two screws that are close together.
Ths front clipped off nice and easy.
The front control panel.
Now for the Dell.
Unclipped the front.
The front control panel was just taped in place, nice and easy to take off.
The just a few screws and pull the back off. Monitors are just so easy to take apart.
Here they are in full uncased glory.
Thesting out the mounting holes.
Then it was time to drill the uprights and where the horiontals will bolt to them.
Yey for getting the holes in the right place!
The second one drilled.
Mounting the second monitor.
This is the HP with the horizontals mounted.
This is the Dell with the fronts of the panels at the same level. Quite a notable gap. I chose to fill the gap with nuts.
Appologies for the out of focus picture.
Both standing! It seems to be solid enough not to tip or even want to tip with a moitor mounted one side.
Both monitors tested and still working after being thrown around all afternoon. Phew. I should probably use some fabric over the LCDs to save them from scratching.
Now I'm just waiting for the other monitors to arrive. In the meantime I may start to rummage through my parts bin for a motherboard with three pci-e slots and some old GPUs that might be able to handle a 1080p movie.
Another package. Or two.
The four so far together.
Back removal of the Samsung. The lack of mounting holes in the back plate is disappointing. I will have to drill my own holes.
Time to pop the case of the LG.
Again no mounting holes. But at least some idea of where they should be. Nice and easy to drill.
Mark up holes.
Remove important parts before drilling.
The bolts are going the other direction with this one. Seem to be the easiest way to attach the monitor to the horizontals.
Throw it all back together and hey presto. We have the bottom row sorted!
While waiting for the last two monitors to arrive I decided to get the computer to run it together. It's a bit of a mix-match of what I had lying around.
Mobo: Foxconn Blackops (It's still working?!)
RAM: 2Gb DDR3
GPUs: 8500GT, 8800GS, 8800GT
HDD: misc 120gb
PSU: Enermax 620W
The setup while I tested it was fully working with the three GPUs and installing windows.
The case is one that I first learned to case mod on. It's like a piece of Swiss cheese and god knows how it's got any structural integrity left but it manages to stand so I thought I'd use it.
The Foxconn Blackops can be picky about just about everything. In this case it decided it only liked the 8800GT in the lowest pci-e slot. The 8800GT has a nice double slot cooler on it. This meant it did not fit in the case due to hitting the bottom before you could get it near the pci-e slot. The dremel came out and the case became even more holey.
Yey for windows booting!
First port of call: get a new desktop background.
After a bit of playing with VLC I managed to get Saving Private Ryan to play across the three monitors.
This was done using the wall plugin. I'll get some screenshots of how I set it up with the final monitor setup.
Back to monitor mounting. I then marked up and mounted the fourth monitor. Sorry I don't seem to have a pic of the horizontals being marked and drilled.
The horizontals have not yet been attached to the uprights as I'm waiting for the other monitors to arrive so I can make the measurements correctly. Here is it taped into place.
Starting to take shape - nice
Former HWBOT and CPC World No1 Bencher
(highest rank ever: 1st at 05 Nov 2006 12:30, most hwboints ever: 331.7 points at 05 Nov 2006 12:30)
Voltage - The solution and cause of all your overclocking problems .
Please forgive my grammar and spelling - My Keyboard is dyslexic
This is a great project Sam, I didn't realise how easy monitors were to strip down
OVERCLOCKING - The process of installing high hopes, dumb luck, and several paychecks into a rectangular box which transmits a signal to a screen that displays your fate. The outcome is usually depressing.
Thanks for all the kind words. I've been working on it today too so if you're lucky and I'm not too tired I may just upload some pics. Lets just say there are only 8 more holes to drill .